Wednesday, October 13, 2021

MotoGP, Mir: “Fabios Leder? The race management has to save us from ourselves”

Joan Mir, fresh from fourth place at the last Catalonia GP (thanks also to Quartararo’s penalty) and currently fifth in the overall standings with 78 points, preparing for the German GP at the Sachsenring on a route that might favor his Suzuki, whose main characteristic seems to be ease of driving and agility.

“I’ve been strong at this track since I was just a rookie – he said – it seems temperatures are going to rise so it will be interesting to race in these conditions. I feel ready to tackle Sunday’s race gain weight.” “.

You did a few tests after the last GP in Barcelona, ​​do you have any changes to the bike in mind for the race?

“I haven’t spoken to the technicians in detail so I can’t say exactly what, but we’ve worked hard and will certainly be making some changes to the setup these days.”

After this and the next race in the Netherlands there will be a long summer break, how much will that affect the development of the bike?

“I know full well that the development of the motorcycle is being worked on in Japan and will continue to do so. So maybe we can already see results at the Austrian GP. The second half of the championship will probably depend on it.” As for me, I will continue to do my best in every race and with the improvements to come we hope to make up for that lead that is forcing us to chase after the overall leader at the moment. “

Last week you viewed the incident with Quartararo’s leather very critically and pointed your finger at the chest protector that had been thrown on the track. Do you still think the main problem was the lack of a black flag from the race control?

“When I took part in the post-race interviews, I had only seen a few pictures, so I said that ‘from what I saw” it seemed as if Fabio had deliberately thrown the Protector on the track. What I meant was that “if that were the case” it would have been a dangerous action for the other riders, I think everyone would have said the same thing. As for the leather, the danger was obviously mostly for Fabio’s safety, well it made me smile when people thought I was the reason for his punishment. I’m definitely not the type who has to punish the other drivers in the direction of the race in order to score points in the overall standings. I didn’t want him to be punished, nor did I ask Suzuki to do it on my behalf, we just wanted to look into the situation. “

Me: “Safety first, before the points, before the championship”

If it had happened to any of you drivers, you probably would have done the same thing because basically that’s what you drivers do. So do you think the race management should step in to save you from yourself?

“I think it’s necessary. I don’t want to think about what would have happened if Fabio had crashed under these conditions. Safety first, before the points, before the championship.”

In a recent interview, Jorge Lorenzo stated that he always raced because he loved to win and not to ride a motorcycle for the pleasure. Is it the same with you?

“(laughs) My joy comes first of all from the speed. If you are fast enough you can of course also win, so I can partly agree with Jorge, I am not denying that I like to win and fight for the title. On the other hand, I think less about the results and more about the fun of racing in different contexts like motocross.

Next year there will be eight Ducatis at the start and only two Suzuki. What do you think about it?

“Suzuki will certainly have its reasons not to want to invest in a satellite team. Obviously it doesn’t make me very happy to face eight Ducatis, but I think we can handle this situation as well.”

What if you had to give your opinion on this year’s Mir-Suzuki duo?

“It’s a good package, not as good as last year, but with great potential. The aim is to keep improving so that we can be very strong at the end of the championship.”

Rins: “It was hard to get back in shape, I’m not 100% yet”

The Sachsenring will also see the return of Alex Rins to racing, who is considered “fit” for the competition after the unfortunate bicycle accident in which he broke his arm and missed the Catalonia GP.

“Last week it was difficult to get fit for the race again. I can’t say I’m 100% yet, I have pain when braking, but I hope it will get better in the next few days.”

Could the fact that the track has more left turns help you?

“I don’t think the corners will be a problem, but I know I’ll suffer when braking and in MotoGP you have to be 100% in every way to keep up. I want to be able to fight for the fights . ” Championship, but for now I’ll be concentrating on my recovery race after race. “

The track looks really good for the Suzukis, so could the problem be in qualifying?

“Last year I would have answered yes, but this year I feel like I have a good feeling with the bike. Obviously in my current shape I don’t know how competitive I will be, but I think Joan is very good cut off.”

No comments:

Post a Comment