Saturday, October 2, 2021

MotoGP, Quartararo: “I won’t do anything crazy in the race, I’ll stay within my limits”

Fabio Quartararo believed his time of 1’22.677 was good enough for pole at the Red Bull Ring, but he wasn’t counting on Jorge Martin. So the Frenchman had to be content with second place on the grid without even using the second available soft tire.

“It was something great to be below the 1’23” in Q2 and actually it was pretty fun because when I did the 22.6 I knew it was that fast, but at one point I said, ‘It is 23.6 or 22.6 ‘because it was a really fast lap – he explained – we have a lot of struggles in sector 1, but in sectors 2 and 4 I feel really strong with the bike. the taste of pole position on a track that is tough for us would have been great, but I think the front row is still fantastic. “

What happened on your second exit in qualifying?

“I found some drivers waiting in front of me, I usually don’t care, but today I knew I needed someone up front to improve, a little slipstream would help me. So I decided not to tow anyone, I knew I was it should have stayed in the front row ”.

Are you confident about the race?

“In FP4 we showed that our pace was very good with all the tires; I felt great with all the rear tires. I didn’t feel the drop like in the last race. It’s a completely different story in a race, but I have Feeling that I’m comparing both FP4s. As with the used tire, I already had really good pace. “

What is your goal for tomorrow

“I don’t have a clear goal because it’s hard for us to fight in the race on this track and it will depend a lot on what happens on the first laps. I will definitely do my best, I have a pace that should allow me to fight for the podium, but I will not do anything crazy, I will not go beyond my limits. “

Martin also stated that he would like to be in the top 5 …

“I was in his situation in 2019: I wanted to win, but as a rookie you can say what you want (laughs). I know very well that he wants to win, he has to enjoy this moment and use it, if he is intelligent he will do it. “

How was the weekend alone in the garage?

“The atmosphere is fantastic, I also had a mechanic from Vinales who helped us, he was working on my bike and I have to thank him because he could have gone home.”

No comments:

Post a Comment