Thursday, July 29, 2021

MotoGP, Bagnaia admits wrong tire choice, but wouldn’t have fought for the podium anyway. “

The goal for Pecco Bagnaia on the eve of the Barcelona GP was clear: to catch up points from Quartararo. It didn’t go as he’d hoped and 7th place is a very poor win at the end of a race that never saw him among the protagonists.

“We tried installing the center stern, but we made a mistake – the Ducati driver immediately made it clear – It was a decision made by mutual agreement between me and the team, so there is nothing to complain about. I thought I could handle the tires, but on the final laps I ran out of tires, I lost the rear end when entering the corner. It was easy to fall and throw away more points ”.

Would it have been different with the hard one?

“It would have been a better choice, but let’s be honest, even with that it would have been difficult to fight for the podium. Maybe we were wrong when we ignored the difficult one at the beginning of the weekend, but Michelin told us that it only works well in very high temperatures and that I haven’t done many laps with it. In any case, I was safer with the medium, but I couldn’t drive the way I wanted. “

How do you mean?

“I’m very strong when braking and cornering, but I had to change my style because I lost the rear. After zero in Mugello, today it was all about finishing “.

You lost more points in the championship …

“I don’t want to look at Quartararo, I want to look at myself. The season is still long and I have to improve. It was a good start to the season, I got podiums and was fast on tracks where I had problems last year, like Portimao. I made a trivial mistake at Mugello and probably threw away a podium, today I chose the wrong tire. Apart from the Sachsenring, there will be other tracks that I really like, but I can’t be satisfied with the last results. “

Now Zarco seems to be the Ducati rider in the best shape, are you surprised?

“Not at all, he’s been riding MotoGP for many years and has a works bike. Johann is doing very well and is definitely a rival for the championship, it is normal for him to be ahead. Let’s not forget that at the beginning of the year there were a lot of people who relied more on Zarco than on me.

There is a test day in Barcelona tomorrow, how useful will it be for you?

“I think I’ll be the first to step on the track to start my work. I hope to find a solution to our problems that will help me in the next races, because if I remember correctly, there is not much grip on the Sachsenring either. “

Do you think Quartararo should have been stopped with the leather open?

“It was probably hot (laughs). Seriously, I’m a driver, I’m not in the race control and I don’t want to get involved in these discussions ”.

There was also some controversy in Moto3 over the maneuvers by Alcoba, who deliberately slowed down in the last two corners of the penultimate lap in order to regroup the group.

“Once in Moto3 it was different, whoever had the pace managed to get away with it, group races were rare. I think it’s ridiculous what happened today that nobody said anything to Alcoba. He accelerated to regroup everyone, in the last corner there were three rows with four drivers, I hope the race management will take action, we drivers will certainly talk about it in the next safety commission. It’s not athletic behavior, you don’t show that you are the strongest and Alcoba has done it throughout the race. His maneuver caused the Foggia, Artigas and Sasaki incident, it seems really strange to me that nobody said anything “.

There are observers who argue that the current Moto3s are going too fast …

“That’s not the real problem, the Yamaha R3s are slower, but everything happens in their races. In my opinion, the Race Direction should talk seriously to the Moto3 riders because you can see everything: blocking, unnecessary punches on the straight, so it gets dangerous ”.

No comments:

Post a Comment