Wednesday, October 13, 2021

The Suzuki upgrade that made Mir’s Styrian victory bid possible

Suzuki finally made its debut with its rear height stability device during the Styrian GP last weekend, after being the only manufacturer to start without it this season.

The device works in the same way as the holeshot launcher in that the rider can lower the rear of the bike when exiting corners for better acceleration out of corners.

After Ducati pioneered the Holeshot device in MotoGP in 2018 (although there had been iterations in motocross racing and British superbikes years before), Ducati was the first to use the height adjuster in 2019.

In the first half of the season, Mir was only able to come in third up to three times. I had his best weekend of the year at the Styrian GP, ​​qualifying in fifth and after a race-long battle for victory with Pramacs. Jörg Martin came in second.

“Yes, that was a really important improvement,” said Mir of the device. “Now I honestly don’t understand how we could be so strong at the beginning of the season without it.

“To be honest you can feel it, the first point is to start with the same thing as the others and then we have to try to improve small things on the bike – just details, but now we start like the others.

“Well, I am happy. I didn’t miss this win that much, I went far a couple of times. Overall, I’m looking forward to the weekend and hope to be strong next weekend. “

The Red Bull Ring was a strong venue for Mir last year, but when asked by Motorsport.com whether he could have fought for victory last Sunday without the new height stabilizer, he replied: “I think no, I think here It is really important to Austria.

“Without the device, it is difficult to be as strong as it is today. I would say no. “

Me and Martin kept lap times practically the same for much of the race, but the Ducati rookie wasn’t able to pull away until the Suzuki rider’s rear tire fell off late.

“When you fight a Ducati it’s always a challenge because they accelerate so quickly, stop so well and our advantage is just the opposite,” said Mir, who is now 51 points behind the championship lead.

“And there is more of it on this route than normally working for our bike.

“But I tried to give everything, in the first 10 laps I lost a lot in the first and second sectors on the straight, but then I tried to recover in the third and fourth sectors.

“Then in the end I lost more acceleration with the used tire. The tire spun and they got really good grip. “

No comments:

Post a Comment