Wednesday, September 8, 2021

MotoGP, Bagnaia: “Too cold in May at Le Mans, we have to postpone the GP”

It’s strange to see Bagnaia in 12th place with the real risk of having to go through Q1 tomorrow if it rains tomorrow morning. That doesn’t mean Pecco was in particular trouble today, but the problem came at the wrong time.

“I felt great in the mornings when it was wet while struggling in these conditions last year. Today I was the only one besides Zarco who only used one set of tires and who improved in the final, ”explained Pecco. “IIn the afternoon, the bad luck fell after seven laps because of the cold. At that moment my pace was very good, I improved and it would have been enough to go straight into Q2.

Instead of this?
“I went back to the pits and came out on a new soft tire, but it wasn’t as capable. I noticed it because I risked losing the tail twice on the opening lap. So I went back to the garage, but had to mount a medium. “

Why?
The fall was logically unpredictable and we had only prepared two soft rear tires. It’s a shame because I was quick. I only lost Q2 by 89 thousandths. “

Would it have been possible to prevent the fall?
No, I fell off a stationary bike without doing anything differently than on the previous lap. The problem is the cold. This morning it was 8 degrees and in the afternoon 12. In these conditions it is difficult to warm up the tires. Michelin has done an incredible job, but it will be difficult to drive at Le Mans in May. The pit lane is also very long. It takes us more than thirty seconds to cover them, and it cools the tires. In the end, it’s safer to drive when it’s wet. In the dry state you have to be very precise because you can lose the front very quickly. It’s difficult to use. “

There doesn’t seem to be a solution.
We always come here in May. We need to talk about that in the Security Commission. The idea is to maybe move the Grand Prix forward instead of Mugello. I know that Aleix Espargarò also agrees. I will also ask why they extended the pit lane again. Last year it was shorter. We hit the track when we were done in the pits. I don’t know why they changed it. “

Are you worried about tomorrow?
“I hope it’s good weather, maybe 22 degrees,” he laughed, “but I know it won’t be. Entering Q2 directly in FP3 will be difficult, even if the asphalt is not dry, because it will definitely be cold. But never say never I will do everything I can. “

No comments:

Post a Comment