Monday, November 22, 2021

SBK, Gerloff says he would never want to ride a MotoGP motorcycle in Austin because of the tarmac

All MotoGP riders complained to varying degrees about the catastrophic tarmac on the Austin circuit. In the end, however, everyone at the Security Commission meeting agreed that COTA needs a renewal, without which they would not return.

The opinions on the tarmac in Austin were among the most diverse: from the ironic “training in motocross helped me” by Andrea Dovizioso“to simply” it’s dangerous “by Valentino Rossi. One of the sharpest views was that of Aleix Espargarò who said it is “unacceptable for MotoGP to ride here”.

While the MotoGP was racing in Austin, Texan Garrett Gerloff was Franco Morbidelli’s replacement in two world championship races on the Yamaha M1, including the race in Assen, took part in his own championship, the third from last World Superbike in Portimao, and spoke out on the subject.

“The track in Assen is very flat, but I can assure you that it felt very bumpy when I rode the Yamaha M1 there: there were small bumps and the bike was very unstable.” – Gerloff said to Speedweek and then added – A month later I didn’t notice any bumps on the track on the Yamaha R1. The fact is that a Grand Prix bike is designed to run on a level surface, you can feel every irregularity. So I can imagine how it is at COTA. Because I know how big the bumps are there. Now that I have a better understanding of what a GP bike is like, I would never want to race a MotoGP bike there. “

Another opinion on COTA came from Loris Baz, who recently returned to Superbike but competes in MotoAmerica.

“Austin still has the best tarmac of any American track, there are no flat tracks in the US,” he said with a laugh.

“What the MotoGP riders said is true. I would have said earlier that they were just moaning... But no, after riding a GP bike I now understand exactly what they mean. “

No comments:

Post a Comment