Friday, September 10, 2021

MotoGP, Bagnaia: “I asked them to ‘weld’ my Ducati, I don’t want any changes”

At the end of the tests, Pecco Bagnaia said he wanted and must improve his performance on the flying lap. All said and done, because today in Qatar he finished second behind team-mate Miller. Ducati flexed its muscles on one of the tracks that suits it best and, according to the Italian, there are no weak points, in fact the fight at Yamaha is particularly balanced.

“We have a very fast bike on this route, even in the sections that are traveled on – he explained – We have an advantage on the straight and lose to them in T3 and vice versa. Still, I know it’s a good advantage to be able to catch up one and a half tenths on the straight.

If the tests had already shown that the red bikes were in good shape, the confirmation came today …

“What I was hoping and expecting was to have the same feelings on the race weekend and I feel even better – he continued – I had time to think and immediately felt good. We only had problems with the medium-sized tire at the front, Zarco and Miller went down in FP1 and I landed in the gravel to save myself from a fall. But that’s not a problem because we won’t be using this tire on Sunday.

The question is whether after five days of testing and a day of practice you haven’t reached the limit yet …

“Believe me, tomorrow you will be amazed by the speed in Q2, if the conditions are good we could drive in 1’52” for the first time. And I’m not just talking about the Ducatis – he explained – Today it wasn’t important to be first, but I’m very happy because I managed to do a lap of 1’53.4 on my first flying lap, usually the first attempt I was six tenths slower. In the second I improved, but they showed the yellow flag.

Bagnaia is also happy with the relationship with Miller …

“Having a quick teammate makes the difference because we push each other. In the tests he was stronger on the flying lap, but we had a similar pace and he still managed to kid me today. The nice thing is the climate in the garage, at the end of the session he came to me and told me that he had seen my lap and he noticed that I was enjoying it – he revealed – I’m glad to have found an atmosphere that I wanted and needed, there is so much peace “.

Now it’s all about not getting lost and Bagnaia has a plan …

“I asked the guys to weld my bike – he joked – I don’t want to touch anything in the next few days because I feel good and know that it is me who can move more than a few changes. “

No comments:

Post a Comment