Sunday, September 5, 2021

MotoGP, Bagnaia: “I don’t feel like the leader at Ducati, I have fun and drive fast”

Bagnaia is increasingly becoming the benchmark for Ducati. Also in Jerez – a circuit that is not bad for the Rossa – the Italian ended the day with a perfect lap, which earned him first place in the overall standings. A result that fits well with his second place in the overall standings, but Pecco does not see himself as a benchmark for Borgo Panigale.

“I don’t feel like the leader at Ducati, I just work to be as fast as possible and think about the race” – he explained – Maybe in the future, when I fight for the World Cup, I will feel this pressure more, but Now I just want to be a better driver and I give 100% I feel at eye level with Miller ”.

But today you made the difference …

“It’s good to be fast on this track, where Ducati has not always done well. However, I always did well in Jerez, I have a lot of confidence in the front and that allows me to only work in the back to find more grip because there isn’t a lot of grip. The flying lap is not a problem for me because I have a lot of fun, if at all I have to keep working on the pace, something is still missing. Morbidelli drove very fast today and we have to be able to get close to him, I think I need three tenths of a second.

What’s the secret of going fast with the Desmosedici in Jerez?

“If you look at the data, Compared to the other Ducati riders, I can brake later and the higher speed at which I enter the corners helps me get the bike into the corner. The other drivers have a similar style, while mine is different and on tracks like this it works for the others. “

Can you also think of victory?

“I hope so (laughs). We will have to keep working, today I made a big step forward and we are going in the right direction, but I know that tomorrow the track conditions will change ”.

At the end of FP2, there are 14 drivers in 9 tenths of a second …

“We all know this route well, I’ve been driving here since 2011, and it’s short and therefore the gap smaller. Hard to make a difference, to get there you have to be smart about handling the tire. Qualifying will be very important because it is difficult to pass. My goal for tomorrow is the first row, to start over means to have done 40% of the race.

Tardozzi said you are more aware of your strength now …

“Now I know that I can go fast when I push and that helps me, but what makes the difference is my confidence in the bike. I can go out on the track straight away and push, I can feel every change we make, I think these are the results of the work of the past few years and the winter. It’s nice and a great satisfaction to see yourself in the lead every time you hit the track ”.

How much room do you have left to improve?

“In my opinion, I’m already at a good level, as I said, going fast every time gives you a big boost in confidence. It wasn’t like that last year, I couldn’t improve, I fell without understanding why. Having fun on the bike is certainly another thing that helps a lot, especially on the flying lap. “

No comments:

Post a Comment