Sunday, October 10, 2021

MotoGP: Quartararo could make history in Le Mans – Roadracing World Magazine

PETRONAS Yamaha SRT goes to Quartararo’s home GP

MotoGP riders Fabio Quartararo and Franco Morbidelli will tackle the French GP this weekend

The riders of the PETRONAS Yamaha Sepang Racing Team, Fabio Quartararo and Franco Morbidelli, are motivated to continue their 2020 MotoGP success this weekend as they tackle Quartararo’s home race: the Grand Prix de France at Le Mans – the first event in the penultimate one Triple header from the season.

Heimheld Quartararo, who can enjoy the sight of some happy fans in the stands, is going to the ninth race of the season with increased self-confidence after the last victory and thus back to the top of the drivers’ standings. Although he didn’t finish on the podium at home last year, he set the fastest lap on the 4.2 km circuit. This year, Fabio hopes to be the first Frenchman in the history of the premier class to be at the top of the podium on the Le Mans circuit.

Teammate Morbidelli also hopes to keep Barcelona’s good shape after taking his first MotoGP pole position at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya. The Italian has already had good results at Le Mans; In 2014 he got his first top ten result in the world championship and a Moto2 victory in 2017.

For PETRONAS Yamaha SRT, the current leader in the team championship, the course action begins on Friday at 9.55 a.m. local time (15.55 p.m. MYT). The 27-lap MotoGP race starts a little earlier on Sunday at 1 p.m. local time (7 p.m. MYT).

Fabio Quartararo

I’m really happy to have a home GP this year and it’s a special feeling to go there as the championship leader. Le Mans is a circuit that I really like. It will be important for us to fight for victory and score as many points as possible. I usually drive well at this circuit, I finished eighth there last year, but it was a really fast race and I hope to be able to continue the good form from the Barcelona weekend. I just hope that the fans who are allowed to come bring warm conditions with them, because it’s pretty cold at the moment! I’m just very happy to have a home GP as there aren’t many races this year.

Franco Morbidelli

Le Mans is a good track and I like it a lot. It’s a track where I’ve done some decent races in the past and got some strong results: I had my first top ten result in 2014 and won there in 2017. I feel great both physically and mentally so I’m in good shape to go into the next races. With this third triple header we’re starting the second half of 2020, my best MotoGP season so far. Now I’m looking forward to racing again after this very short break. We’re going to try to be fast again and I’m ready to see what we can do at Le Mans before we go to Aragon.

No comments:

Post a Comment