Saturday, August 21, 2021

Honda’s Marc Marquez feared that he would not have a “normal arm” after the accident at the Spanish Grand Prix

Honda’s six-time MotoGP champion Marc Marquez feared he would not have a “normal arm” after a career-threatening fall last year, but the Spaniard said he was now fully focused on fighting back to his best form.

Marquez broke his arm at the inaugural Spanish Grand Prix in Jerez in July 2020 and did not compete again until this year’s Portuguese GP in April.

The youngest champion in the history of the premier class said he was unable to hold a bottle of water months later after the accident.

READ: Yamaha and Maverick Vinales are separating with immediate effect

“I was afraid I didn’t have a normal arm,” he told The Guardian. “There was a point in October-November when I couldn’t get a bottle of water, strained to eat, and couldn’t move my arm normally.”

The 28-year-old secured an emotional victory at the German GP in June and won for the first time since the crash, but he is still far behind in the drivers’ standings, 11th – 122 points behind leader Fabio Quartararo.

READ: Malaysian MotoGP canceled, replaced by races at Misano: organizers

Marquez said he missed the feeling of victory that he likened to “a drug” but was far from giving up trying to get through the difficult moments.

“My motivation is higher than before because it is the first time in my career that I have a very difficult moment,” he said. “In the good moments everyone is happy and smiling, in the hard moments you have to fight.

“The easiest way would be to stop and come back when I feel ready in a year or two. But that’s not my style. My style is to try, suffer, to improve and come back. And do it on the bike to enjoy not enjoy it, now I suffer. “

No comments:

Post a Comment