Tuesday, August 31, 2021

MotoGP, Marquez admits 2021 will be a year of transition as he works to improve the Honda

Marquez in thirteenth place, eight tenths behind the overnight leader Bagnaia and twice behind his team-mate Nakagami in seventh, is difficult to explain. Marc tried to do just that at the end of the first day of training for the Italian Grand Prix and analyzed the reasons that led to this result, both physically and technically.

“First I would like to talk about my arm: there is a plate on the humerus, but it does not have to be removed. It’s not an option, it can stay there. As for the antibiotics, if the doctors give me the OK to Barcelona I can’t take them anymore. Speaking of the shoulder, however, we need to understand the situation better. It is certainly more stable now, but today, for example here in Mugello, I noticed that I have a big limit. After FP1, I compared today’s data with 2019 and we saw that I lose two tenths of a second with each of the three quick changes of direction. A total of almost 7 tenths … I have to be patient, we will have a better situation in the future. “

Marc is as busy as ever … and on two fronts.

Marquez: “When I get back to the pits, we’re not talking about my arm, we’re talking about how we can improve the Honda”

“In Jerez and Portimao I worked on adapting the bike to the new riding position, looking for others, but then I can’t ride the way I want, especially on the right side … we have now come to a point where when i return to the garage we no longer talk about my arm but about the bike. We have to be patient. Riding is good for me, even if I am not riding at my level. I don’t lose speed or contact with the competition. Of course, my performance is not my usual at the moment, but it will be better in the future. “

He insists that he no longer thinks about a lack of physical performance …

“The biggest difference at the moment is the mentality: when I came back to the pits in Jerez, we talked about my arm, here we discuss what I need on the bike. I am aware that I have limits and where I have them, I no longer push, but otherwise I feel like 2019 and I just try to get the best out of my Honda. We will improve in the future and if the shoulder does not improve the results will never improve, but if we work differently we will never improve. ”

Marc Marquez is saying that right now The priority is to advance the RC213-V. And that he is fully convinced that nature allows him to get back in shape. To be the Marquez he was before …

Marquez: “Now the wheel is moving half as much, but only because I’m not pushing it to the limit”

“Compared to 2019 or 2020, the tires are basically the same. I always said that the Honda is a critical motorcycle and you crash and lose confidence with it. What is happening to me now is that I am not at one hundred percent. Sure, now the bike moves half as much … but because I’m not pushing it to the limit. I’m not prepared for that. It’s true: we have traction problems, but we also had them in 2019. The difference is that I can’t adjust at the moment. “

Marc recently announced that after the Jerez Grand Prix in Honda there was also talk that he no longer drives. Is that still an option? The answer of the eight-time world champion is that of an athlete who knows that only the competition gives the right stimuli to get back to his level.

Marquez: “It doesn’t matter how I end the season: I only train while I’m racing”

“It’s a fact for me The race for 5 points or a single point does not change the result at the end of the year: fourth, fifth or seventh does not change anything. I run to win. It’s a year of transition. Instead, we have to understand where I’m from and where I’m going: I have to avoid falls, but I have to act like I’m in a public… test, in the race: that’s the only way. A soccer player can train by going to a small field to kick the ball a few times, but a MotoGP rider must be racing if they want to ride a motorcycle.

Marquez: “We started with the RC213-V in 2019: I’m developing it bit by bit”

Pol Espargarò, his team-mate, spoke of general technical problems, and that he was happy that all Honda riders were finally riding the same motorcycle. Now the data can be shared. But in conversation with Marquez it becomes clear that the path that “Magic” is taking is a different one.

“To be honest, I don’t know what the others are driving: I have an RC213-V, let’s call it ‘Evolution’. When I feel good and a new component convinces me, introduce it, update the bike for 2021. I try out all the new components individually. This is the only way to really understand. “

No comments:

Post a Comment