Friday, August 20, 2021

MotoGP Austria: Marini “about to make history”

08/16/2021 |
|
MotoGP

Image: GeeBee Pictures

Avintia VR46 MotoGP rookie Luca Marini was aiming for the Austrian GP podium on Sunday after making the decision not to swap bikes when the rain hit the Spielberg Circuit.

The Italian finally finished fifth – his best position so far in the MotoGP class – after an outstanding run from 17th on the grid. Fight and defeat brother and Academy mentor Valentino Rossi in the final laps for position on the track and finish the race with a celebration after the checkered flag.

“Maybe we were on the verge of making history, because if we could finish second and third, that would be great,” summed up Marini from Austria on Sunday evening.

“It was a very difficult race, but I think we enjoyed this fight and drove in these difficult conditions. It was great, so we were happy and we just hugged each other and celebrated a bit, it was a very good race and fighting with it is fantastic every time, ”the rookie admitted to his older brother and nine-time world champion.

“It was a really crazy race,” continued Marini.

“The last lap was really hard to try not to fall. Because just the lap before, turn three, was really wet, but I was able to drive the slick quite well in this condition, but the last lap started to rain.

“The track was completely wet and very difficult because the tire temperature drops sharply and so does the brake temperature. The last lap was really difficult, but I just tried to do the best because I believe in the podium, but in the end, in the last three corners, the guys with the rain tires were very quick. When Pecco overtook me in the end, I was really sad because I knew that all the other drivers were coming. I tried to defend but it was impossible in this situation, but I’m glad he came second, ”he admitted gracefully.

“In this situation I have improved a lot this year because in the past, when I saw a few drops, I slowed down a lot. I don’t know why, maybe that I’m just improving and gaining experience, or the feeling of the Ducati in this condition is incredible – because I think it’s a very good motorcycle in this situation – and the Michelin tire really works too good in this situation.

“I’ve improved a lot this year, race after race, every time I’ve tried to learn something and especially to have a better attitude in this situation – because the raindrops are only in the head at the beginning. The asphalt is very hot and there is a lot of grip at the beginning. So if you see the other drivers slowing down, you can only keep your pace a couple of laps or a couple of corners longer.

“I’m proud of my results today, my race today, because it was just great and I’m really happy that I was clever and made the right decision at a critical moment. That makes me really proud of the work I’m doing now, it’s just great feelings. With best regards, the podium would be better, but we have to enjoy this race and think about the next. “

No comments:

Post a Comment