Tuesday, August 31, 2021

MotoGP, Guintoli: “I thought about racing in the Tourist Trophy … for 5 minutes!”

He is world champion in the SBK, tester for Suzuki in MotoGP for several years and in the last few months also a successful YouTuber. Sylvain Guintoli does not have time to get bored, and just in a monotonous moment he decided to invent something new.

“I was bored at home last winter,” he told Top Gear. “It’s too cold to do a lap and for two months you sit and watch curling and think of bikes. So I thought it would be interesting to do videos.”

The Donington Circuit is only half an hour from Sylvain’s house, and it didn’t take long between words and deeds. The first video was about what it’s like to ride a racing bike (the GSX-R) on the track.

The original idea was to compare MotoGP to the real world,” he explained. “If you want to make a similar comparison in the world of automobiles, you need to spend at least $ 100,000 first. Bicycles, on the other hand, are very similar. Some racing bikes exceed 200 horsepower. In MotoGP you can get close to 300, but you can’t use all the power of the bike. 200 hp on each type of bike is really a lot. The main thing is the weight / performance ratio, then the tires make the difference and that’s it. It’s about details, a few seconds here and there. “

It was an idea that his fans really valued, but Guintoli is happy with his role as a tester.

“I like that,” he confirms. “We are working on all fronts, on the development of the engine, chassis, brakes and on aerodynamics. Often times these are performance tests so you can get started as soon as possible. When you race, the only fun moment is when you win. Working in a test team is more relaxed. “

Speaking of racing, Sylvain confessed that he had thought of competing in the road races which are very popular in the UK, where he lives.

I’ve been thinking about it … for 5 minutes! “ he said. “I did a lap of honor on the Isle of Man where the roads were closed to traffic. It was just supposed to be a parade. I was on the road with other SBK riders on racing bikes. We were only there to have a good time and do some wheelies, but it turned out to be great. I was beyond my limits because I didn’t know the route at all. You cannot compare the sensations you experience while driving the Isle of Man with nothing else. The adrenaline rush is incredible. When I got back, I started saying to myself, ‘This is great, maybe I should think about it.’ But my wife immediately said no to me. “

Ubi maior … However, Guintoli has not closed the doors to another legendary race among drivers: the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Those who have ridden it told me it was special. The French love this race so I have to have it in my DNA,” he concluded.

No comments:

Post a Comment